Latest News in Cycling
- Have a pair of shimano mw80 winter mtb shoes size 46. Only worn a few times as they are to small. $80. In very good shape.
- Looking for some new winter mtb shoes and choices are Louis Garneau 0, lake mxz303 or 45north but pricey. Opinions? Suggestions?
Juanjo Cobo, the Spanish rider who beat Chris Froome in the 2011 Vuelta a España, found a lifeline for the 2014 season with a third-division Turkish team that’s seen its past two winners of the Tour of Turkey test positive for EPO.
The 32-year-old was looking at retirement after Movistar did not renew his contract after two lackluster seasons at the World Tour. With no other major teams showing interest, Cobo has joined continental-level team, Torku Sekerspor.
Cobo hasn’t won a race since the 2011 Vuelta, when he held off a late challenge from Froome, who has since emerged as the most dominant stage race rider of the current generation.
Speaking to the Spanish website Biciciclismo, Cobo said he hopes to return to a top-level team in 2015.
“The circumstances were not favorable after my two seasons with Movistar and how things are now in cycling,” he told Biciciclismo. “If I can return to the top level all depends on me; to do things the right way, to be concentrated, to enjoy the bike…Next year I will be 34. At the end of the season we’ll see, to see if I am at a good enough level to ride for another team, to stay here, or to give it up.”
Cobo has been one of the most inconsistent riders in the peloton, winning the 2007 Vuelta al País Vasco, then he all but disappeared, only to come back to beat back Froome and Bradley Wiggins (Sky) at the 2011 Vuelta.
In two seasons at Movistar, he did not win a race, and did not start this year’s Vuelta. Disappointed with his performance, Movistar opted not to extend his contract.
Cobo will be joined by former Saunier Duval teammate David de la Fuente at the Turkish team.
The team has earned a rather infamous reputation for itself, however, winning the past two editions of the Tour of Turkey, only to see its winners test positive for EPO.
In 2012, Bulgaria veteran Ivailo Gabrovski rode away from the field in a climbing stage in stage 3 to win the overall, only to test positive for EPO weeks later.
The same thing happened again this year with Mustafa Sayar, who won the overall but later tested positive for EPO.
The post Cobo finds lifeline with controversial Turkish team appeared first on VeloNews.com.
MILAN, Italy (VN) — The 2013 cycling season is over, but the Italian justice system is in full swing. Earlier this week, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) banned Danilo Di Luca (Vini Fantini-Selle Italia), recommended a two-year ban for Francesco Reda (Androni) and scheduled even more hearings. Next on its menu: Alessandro Ballan (BMC Racing), Mauro Santambrogio (Vini Fantini-Selle Italia) and Lampre’s Giuseppe Saronni.
“It’s certainly not a great thing,” Di Luca said, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport, after leaving the hearing in Rome Thursday. “I feel like I’m paying for everyone.”
To some fans it seems as though everyone in Italian cycling doped, but that is certainly not the case. The Italian anti-doping tribunal (TNA), CONI’s disciplinary arm, sees less action these days than five to 10 years ago, when Ettore Torri was its head prosecutor. A few side dishes sit upon the court’s table along with the main dish, the fallout from the Mantova investigation.
The committee recommended three weeks ago that Ballan serve a two-year ban for his ties to the Mantova investigation. It suggested life for Guido Nigrelli, the pharmacist at the center of the case. Nigrelli’s assistant, Fiorenzo Bonazzi is looking at seven years.
In total, 28 heads are anticipated to roll, including team Lampre’s general manager, Giuseppe Saronni and 2004 Giro d’Italia winner, Damiano Cunego.
The investigation revolved around Nigrelli’s Mantova pharmacy in Northern Italy’s Lombardy region. In 2008 and 2009, Lampre staff allegedly sent several of their riders to Nigrelli for illegal drugs. According to leaked documents in La Gazzetta, Ballan, the 2008 world road champion, used human growth hormone, blood transfusions and EPO in 2009, when he rode for Lampre.
Di Luca and Santambrogio turned team’s Vini Fantini-Selle Italia Giro d’Italia into a nightmare, as both Italians tested positive for EPO. Officials announced Di Luca failed a pre-Giro test on the day snow forced the organizer to cancel its Val Martello stage, May 24. The Santambrogio announcement came after the Giro, where the rider tested positive on day one, won a stage to Bardonecchia and placed ninth overall.
“The Killer” Di Luca won the 2007 Giro winner under suspicion and has previously served two other bans before receiving the lifetime sanction. The court also fined him €35,000 and ordered him to pay for tests other related fees.
Santambrogio rode for Lampre and made the Mantova prosecutor’s list of 28. Late this year, amid uncertainty about his B-sample, he threatened to kill himself in a message on Twitter. He now faces court time and a ban. Labs confirmed his cheating, and authorities are due to recommend a sentence for Santambrogio in the coming month.
The second division team lost its wine sponsor and failed to make the 2014 Giro’s invitation long-list. It goes by the name YellowFluo now and regardless, keeps hope that it will return to the Giro.
Riccò and Reda
CONI recommended a two-year ban for Reda for evading an anti-doping test. Ahead of the GP Camaiore in February, Reda refused a urine test. He responded in an open letter Thursday, “I didn’t avoid testing. I don’t merit two years.”
Riccardo Riccò is also upset with CONI. He told Spain’s Marca newspaper that the committee is acting unfairly in its sentencing. He said that his 12-year-suspension is “exaggerated.” He added that he was doing what the rest of the world was doing when he tested positive at the 2008 Tour de France following two stage wins.
“The Cobra” returned from his doping ban and raced with teams Ceramica Flaminia and Vacansoleil. At the start of 2011, he nearly died while trying to transfuse his own blood. CONI banned him again, this time for 12 years. He appealed the sentence but the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) dismissed his case. The court said CONI acted properly.
The court’s decision was a confidence booster for CONI, which has plenty on its plate and is hard at work this off-season.